Saturday, December 12, 2009

Thackeray's Review


Hi Everyone!

This month I am reviewing the book, A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. Now I have to tell you, this is one of the funniest books I have read in a long time. It's not a new book but everyone can relate to everything that happens to Mary Alice while she spends a year with her Grandma Dowdel.


They live in a small town very much like ours. Grandma Dowdel is both feared and admired by most, but she will stand up to anyone who causes trouble. One night she sent Mildred's horse and boots on their way home without a rider, while Mildred was demanding that Mary Alice pay her a dollar. It still makes me laugh when I think about it. Mildred had a very long walk home that night!


Grandma is one very tough lady who will have you laughing out loud. And just in case you were curious, there is a cat named Bootsie in the story too. I don't always read stories that have animals in them but I like to give credit to my furry friends when they get mentioned in a story.


This is a wonderful read for both junior readers and adults. (As a matter of fact, the women's book club read this one time and they all enjoyed it too!)
Random Question
When you spilled the milk, did it look like the moon?
I would never let spilled milk stand long enough to see if it resembled the moon or not. I do so love milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment